|Year : 2014 | Volume
| Issue : 1 | Page : 54
Obituary of Raphael Panzani
Emeritus Scientist, CSIR Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology, Delhi University Campus, New Delhi - 110 007, India
|Date of Web Publication||11-Jun-2014|
A B Singh
Emeritus Scientist, CSIR Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology, Delhi University Campus, New Delhi - 110 007
Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None
|How to cite this article:|
Singh A B. Obituary of Raphael Panzani. Indian J Allergy Asthma Immunol 2014;28:54
Raphaλl Panzani was born on August 7, 1921 in Marseille, France. He received his MD degree at the age of 25. He became interested in allergy at the beginning of his long career, and remained passionate about it throughout it until he breathed last. He had received a Fulbright scholarship award in 1966 in recognition for his distinguished work on asthma and allergy. Raphaλl pursued his research investigations in close collaboration with many of his colleagues across Europe and other parts of the world, until the very end of his life with great devotion and boundless enthusiasm. I had the opportunity to work on collaborative projects cross-reactive pollen allergens from geographically distant continents of Europe and India. He has been on Editorial Board of Indian Journal of Aerobiology and Indian Journal of allergy and Immunology.
Raphaλl was fond of nature, an aficionado of Roman culture and an expert in history and literature. He identified with Shakespeare and Dante and embraced the philosophy of Seneca. Raphaλl was a great sportsman and an exemplary family man. For all of us who knew him, particularly those of us who were privileged to have visited him at his elegant house in Marseille and his beloved farm in Aix-en-Provence, we will miss him immensely and will always remember him as a friend, guide, philosopher and as role model to Allergologists across the world. I have known him as an amiable, humble and loving person and I consider a personal loss in his demise on May 10, 2014. I am sure his work and dedication will keep the medical community inspiring for a long time to come.
| Some of the Publications of Raphaλl Panzani are given below:|| |
- Hoflehner E, Binder M, Hemmer W, Mahler V, Panzani RC, Jarisch R, et al. Thioredoxin from the Indianmeal moth Plodia interpunctella: Cloning and test of the allergenic potential in mice. PLoS One 2012;7:e42026.
- Pöll V, Denk U, Shen HD, Panzani RC, Dissertori O, Lackner P, et al. The vacuolar serine protease, a cross-reactive allergen from Cladosporium herbarum. Mol Immunol 2009;46:1360-73.
- Armentia A, Arranz E, Hernandez N, Garrote A, Panzani R, Blanco A. Allergy after inhalation and ingestion of cereals involve different allergens in allergic and celiac disease. Recent Pat Inflamm Allergy Drug Discov 2008;2:47-57.
- Panzani R, Armentia A, Lobo R, Postigo I, Martíinez J, Arranz ML, et al. Tolerance mechanisms in response to antigens responsible for baker's asthma in different exposed people. J Asthma 2008;45:333-8.
- Chou H, Tam MF, Lee LH, Chiang CH, Tai HY, Panzani RC, et al. Vacuolar serine protease is a major allergen of Cladosporium cladosporioides. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2008;146:277-86.
- Togawa A, Panzani RC, Garza MA, Kishikawa R, Goldblum RM, Midoro-Horiuti T. Identification of Italian cypress (Cupressus sempervirens) pollen allergen Cup s 3 using homology and cross-reactivity. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2006;97:336-42.
- Marin V, Saraga J, Ariano R, Chouquet D, Dispard M, Bongrand P, et al. Allergic memory of patients sensitized to castor bean after a long stimulation-free period. J Asthma 2006;43:193-8.
- Butteroni C, Afferni C, Barletta B, Iacovacci P, Corinti S, Brunetto B, et al. Cloning and expression of the Olea europaea allergen Ole e 5, the pollen Cu/Zn superoxide dismutase. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2005;137:9-17.
- Palosuo T, Panzani RC, Singh AB, Ariano R, Alenius H, Turjanmaa K. Allergen cross-reactivity between proteins of the latex from Hevea brasiliensis, seeds and pollen of Ricinus communis, and pollen of Mercurialis annua, members of the Euphorbiaceae family. Allergy Asthma Proc 2002;23:141-7.
- Singh A, Panzani RC, Singh AB. Specific IgE to castor bean (Ricinus communis) pollen in the sera of clinically sensitive patients to seeds. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 1997;7:169-74.